2.23.2010

Putting the "hockey" into "hockey basement"



Here is where the replica board is as of now. We still need to put drywall on the front of it. Originally I was thinking too literal on this. I was wanting it to look like boards, so I was trying to figure out how to make metal pieces to hold up the plexiglass. After searching and searching and not finding anything and being perplexed as to how I could fabricate metal pieces, the realization came that it doesn't have to be built to NHL specs. The point of replica boards is that they just have to look like them. We looked at the plexiglass sheets, which are about 1/4 thick. They have a lot of bend to them. The decision was made to make the supports out of wood. The grooves in the wood would hold up the glass, and there will be another groove in the bottom wood for support. The glass can be bent into place and then it will stand up on it's own. On the front of the wood supports I will attach a wider piece of aluminum to complete the look and I think it will turn out well. Then all my crap will be on shelves behind the glass. So don't go throwing body checks into my boards, the glass isn't quite that sturdy. Plus I won't get a 5 minute major for kicking your ass when you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment